Friday, June 10, 2011

Grocery total for first month being vegan...

waaaaaaaaassssssssss $400 dollars! I realize that seems like a lot. Well it doesn't seem like, it is! But keep in mind that is a family of three who eat almost every single meal out of those groceries. So if you break it down per meal, it comes to about $4.75 per meal, for the whole family. That doesn't even include snacks (which this family does a lot of) so throw those in the mix, and the price becomes even lower per meal. Also keep in mind that everything I buy that can be purchased in organic, is. So if someone were more focused on the vegan aspect of things, you could do it even cheaper (but I will always support organic, and if you can afford it, go for it.) Something to consider as well, my family seems to be in pretty decent health (knock on wood several times, I even cringe saying that aloud with fear of one of us coming down with something horrible). My son nor I had been to the doctor since our 1 year check-ups a year ago. Granted we weren't vegan, but we bought a lot of organic, and knew where most of our meat came from. Something to consider next time you shell out a co-pay at your doctor's office. Also, being completely honest, that is almost the exact same amout I paid being non- vegan. One more thing to consider, I had to buy a lot of vegan staples that I didn't have formerly, so next month may not be quite as bad. I could have also made a lot of the same meals I had already made and spent less, but I really wanted to test and try lots of new things! So not too many recipes this week, I was still adjusting to all the change around here, but this week should be full of some good ones. Stay tuned and have a wonderful weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment