Thursday, June 16, 2011

Vegan chocolate chip cookies and chhhheesssseeeeeee!!!!

Really some of the most important "c" words in the English language (I could think of one more, but it's not too appropiate at the moment). Anyways, let's get on with some new stuff!

 First, let's talk about The Fresh Market that just opened in Evansvile. It is located in the same shopping plaza as the Target Greatland on the Eastside, by Babies R' Us. It just opened yesterday, and I made my maiden voyage this afternoon. I didn't really need anything, I just wanted to get the feel of it. It was BUSY!!!! It was a good thing I wasn't doing any real shopping, it was hard to move around in there! They did offer tons of organic fresh porduce and many other organic items, so that is a plus. I did notice alot of the produce was a little cheaper than my beloved Schnucks organic, but I wouldn't drive across town for it, if it was also available to me right now the road for just a little more. They did offer more options than Schnucks, so if there was something you couldn't find, it might be worth the trip. They had a candy bar that looked awesome (although I'm pretty sure a lot of it is off limits to us veggies) and a salad bar with fresh fruit that looked amazing! I did pick up a new brand of veggie burgers, that had a way more healthful ingredients list than Boca or MorningStar, so I can't wait to try them. One of the best things I thought they have is a fresh ground nut butter machine (thanks for the heads up Tasha!) They take dry roasted peanuts, cashews, and almonds and crush them right into spreadable butter!!! One of the best things about The Fresh Market is they are letting you sample the stuff! Candy, nuts, and the butter can all be sampled (atleast for now!) All of the nut butters were awesome, cashew was def. my fav. I went with the peanut though as it had the most protein next to the almond butter. The peanut was $2.99 per lb, but the almond and cashew were a whopping $7.99 a lb! So that might be a better treat item. The best part is there is no salt added to the almond or peanut, something hard to find in the natural jarred kind.! Ok, the best part of my trip, I picked up a bag of  Daiya shredded cheese! I had seen this at our local food co-op and the fellow vegan gentleman suggested it to me the last time I was there, it was just a little expensive for me at over $5 a bag. Well I purchased it here because I swore it said it was $3.99 a bag, but come to find out when I got home, it was $4.99 a bag!!!!! I would much rather give my money to the co-op, so from now on I will be purchasing it from there. The taste was pretty damn good for not being real cheese. Let's face it, nothing will taste like the real thing, ever. But this stuff melts and has a pretty close taste, esp. if you are using it in a recipe and not by itself, I think you would be suprised how good it repliactes it! The hubby made a grilled cheese and my 3 year old cheese lover ate it and liked it (and he is one picky little guy!)  It does have a little tinsy aftertaste so be prepared for that. I am really excited to try the mozzeralla on pizza now! All in all, The Fresh Market is worth checking out. And the flowers there are amazing!!!!  It probably won't be my first choice of shopping, but it will be a nice place to visit for treats and unique items.

So now onto the recipe! Vegan Chocolate chip cookies! Per usual, for baked items I turn to my girl Isa! So this is her recipe for CCC! These are super easy to make, and I am also including some vegan items that are really accessible and fairly priced, so check those out! I took them to work and all of my co-workers loved them!! Enjoy and til next time!


Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup margarine at room temp (I used Smart Balance Light Original with Flax, and I get it from Wal-Mart for about $2.50! and vegan certified on the label)

1 1/4 cups sugar (again I use Florida Organic Crystals and also found at Wal-Mart and vegan certified)

1 tablespoon molasses

2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour ( I use whole wheat pastry, seems to not be as fluffy of a cookie, but otherwise the same)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt ( I used 1/4 teaspoon, I hate using a lot of salt in things)

1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips ( Ghiradelli is accidentally vegan and also found at Wal-Mart)

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the margarine and sugar with a hand mixer until fluffy. Add in the molasses and vanilla and incorporate. Add the dry ingredients to the mixture and mix until a dough forms. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Now I recommend putting the dough in the fridge for about a half hour, allowing it to become a little more stiff (that's what she said). Otherwise it was alittle hard to work with.

 Roll dough into 1 inch balls or drop by tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets (I did both of those and the balls seemed to not get quite done in the middle, which I happen to like, so I recomend dropping). Bake for about 10 minutes until mildly browned. Allow the cookies to cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Remove and place on plate or wire rack to cool


P.S. The dough itself was fabulous and safe to eat since it was egg free! I'm gonna try it in a milkshake!


yum!







the cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment