Friday, June 3, 2011

When life gives you shit, turn to chocolate :)

I love to share delicious recipes and support this vegan journey as much as possible, but I have to be honest, today I am struggling. Most days, I love it. I love talking about it, the cooking, and the satiisfaction that comes along with it, however today that is not the case. You see, these last couple of days have got me down. Nothing too terrible has happened, other than my partner in crime of three years has left me, to start his own journey into the world of preschool. Of course I am talking about my son. I have been thinking how great it is gonna be to have alone time, and be free to come and go as I pleased during the day, but honestly I just have felt lost. I find myself just counting the hours until he comes home. I know I gotta let go, but damn it's hard! I also haven't heard word on the job yet and have convinced myself it just isn't going to happen for me right now. I am a very firm believer in "everything happens for a reason", but sometimes it is just hard to remember that. Combine that with some other stuff no one really needs to here about and I am just in a little emotional. So all of this brings me to my point, food. I am defintely one who turns to food for comfort. I get joy out of food, especially when I'm down. Ice cream, pizza, mac and cheese are just a few of my favorite things. I have yet to find substitutes that are as good as the original. It doesn't help that a dish I had been excited to cook all week, turned out to be a flop :( The edmame pesto was not quite what I expected. I have a queasy stomach, so I am not one who can eat things I don't really enjoy, so that dish was a lesson learned. I wanted so badly to cheat, I was contemplating throwing all of this out the window. I started to make a list of all the vegan things I just don't love (nutrional yeast, fake cheese, sometimes tofu) and thought "I am never going to make it." Then a little voice told me to be strong, think of the greater good and all of the wonderful things I have made. Then I got the idea. I needed to use these big juicy organic strawberries up before they went bad, and what does a woman turn to when she is down? Chocolate of course! I melted some Ghiradhelli semi-sweet chocolate chips and made chocolate covered strawberries (thank god those little treats are accidentally vegan) They were awesome, and quite frankly saved me and my veganism. I hope as time goes on, I grow a little stronger, but I wanted to share this story, so you all know it isn't always as easy as I make it look. I have gained willpower through this and that's something I never really had too much of. So sometimes you win some, and sometimes you lose, but in the end, it all seems to work out!

No comments:

Post a Comment