Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Spicy Bean and Corn burgers with a Mango Salad and Sweet Lime Dressing

How was everyone's holiday weekend? I have to tell you that mine was one of the best! Good wedding, kickass Primus show, and time pent and new friends made in the sun drinking brews and hooping it up. This week will be a bittersweet one for us though, our son starts preschool after being with his Mommy ever since he was born. My husband also has a big interview for the fire department and I find out if I get a job that I really really really want at our local library! So fingers crossed it all goes well! So I thought I would include some things we nade for our little picnic yesterday in today's post! The "burger" recipe was a really good base recipe. Now that I know we can make them and they wont fall apart, I will probably make them a little more spicy next time adding some fressh peppers and more herbs! The salad I found when traveling thru our local grocery store (Schnucks I love you for all the organic options you offer!) and the lady had out samples. She had this recipe for a a mango salad that was soooo good! I didn't realize until after I tasted it, it was made with honey though :( So in my recipe I subbed out agave nectar and it came out yummy! It would be a perfect thing to bring to a summer bbq! Enjoy!


Spicy bean and corn burgers (I can no longer find the original recipe)

1/2 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 carrot
1 can of dark red kidney beans
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 8 oz can of sweet corn
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1-2 tablespoon mustard (we left this out b/c my husband hates mustard, but I would have totally put it in)
3/4 cup old fashioned oats

Mince all veggies and saute in a pan using oil or cooking spray until soft, adding the spices at the end and mixng to coat. Meanwhile, rinse and drain beans, then mash with a fork or potato masher. After the veggies are finished, mix with beans and add corn, then oats. Form into about six patties (if you have trouble getting to stick, use a little whole wheat or white flour to help). Preheat the skillet over medium heat and again with cooking spray or oil, fry burgers about 5-7 minutes on each side.

Mango Cucumber Salad with Lime Dressing

2 limes
2 ripe mangos peeled and chopped
6 oz bag of shredded radishes
1 cucumber chopped
3 tablespoons evoo
2 tablespoons agave nectar

Grate 1 tablespoon lime peel (about one lime worth) and whisk in a bowl with the juice of 2 limes. Add agave nectar and olive oil and mix together. Throw in the fruits and veggies and mix to coat. Best served chilled!



I am defintely putting a new camera on my Christmas list!

No comments:

Post a Comment