Monday, May 23, 2011

A little recap with some Spicy Pasta for Dinner!

How was everyone's weekend? Mine was pretty good! I want to share with you some veg related experiences I had this weekend before I get into dinner with the recipe for a spicy pasta sauce courtesy of Miss Natasha!

I went out of town this weekend to Ohio with my mom and grandma for some wedding related matters (for my mom). Now this was my first time traveling as a vegan, so I tried to prepare as much as I could. I hit the road Friday evening with a homemade burrito and apple for dinner so I wouldn't have to stop at any fast food places on the way! I also prepared snacks to take with me on the trip so I could make it (Luna bars, apples, bananas, popcorn, pistachios).

Breakfast was on the road, so fruit and protein bar it was. Lunch was decided upon by my mother and guess where she picked? The Cheesecake Factory! Talk about temptation! I did the best  I could however, and ordered The Incredible Eggplant Sandwhich (which was pretty damn good) sans the cheese, mayo spread (which I forgot to mention to 86 but the waitress was kind enough to leave off knowing my situation!) and asked them to not use butter when toasting the bread. I realize I ran the risk of the bread being made with dairy or eggs, but if you saw whaat I was working with, I did the best I could. When it was time for dessert they both ordered cheesecake and yes I was completely jealous! But I didn't even have one bite or morsel! I just sipped on my Newcastle (joke was on them because that cheesecake wasn't going to get them a buzz!)
The real treat however came that night! We hit up the mall and I was hungry! I made my way to the food court already mentally altering food to try and veganize it the best way possible. Then my eyes fell upon a little place called The Loving Hut. I guess you would call it a vegan form of fast food! Every location has a different menu though, catered towards the area's interest. I got the spring roll dinner that came with fried rice, 3 springs rolls and a bomb salad with spinach, raisins, other fruit and a spicy chile dressing. I would not lie to you, that was some of the best vegan food I have had. I even emailed the company and told them how happy I was (I have never done that). The meal was about 8 bucks, but the portions where huge, and could have easily been shared or saved for leftovers! So shout out to them and here is the link that list their locations, so if you are in the area of one, check it out! http://www.lovinghut.us/

On the way home, I wasn't so lucky. This time they picked a Frisch's Big Boy (they are pretty sympathetic huh?) I got the salad bar; fresh fruit, salad, and some homestyle potatoes. Not the beest selection but you gotta make due. Well by the time I was on my way home, I was starving. I caved and went thru the drive thru at Taco Bell (gasp). I just got a burritio with beans, rice, lettuce, and tomato. I took a chance, as I have heard their beans may not be veggie friendly, but again lemons into lemonade.

One stop at Ikea on the way home landed Judah some cute new bedtime pillows, a stuffed broccoli and stuffed carrot! He is napping with his new friends!



So enough about my trip and let's move on to dinner! Tonight's menu will feature a spicy pasta sauce from the lovely Natasha! I had to do some tweaking, but I will give you both what I used and she uses so you can adjust accordingly. The correct title for the sauce is Scotch Bonnet Pasta Sauce, but you will see why I can't exactly call it that :(

1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper (Orange or Yellow Preferred) (I had to sub Serrano peppers, as thats all I could find, so I used a couple of those instead)
 
2 Tomatoes  ( I used about 5 ounces of yellow cherrry tomatoes and abouy 14 oz of organic crushed tomatoes because that is what I had on hand)
 
3+ Cloves of Garlic
 
Scallions
 
1 White/Yellow Onion
 
1 Jar of Tomato Sauce or you can make your own out of scratch (I used Bertolli Organic Tomato Basil)
 
1/2 box of your choice of pasta (I used whole wheat rotoni)
 
Mince all the veggies and boil pasta and set aside. Use a small amount of oil in a small skillet or sauce pan and slow cook your tomatoes. After they have simmered, add pasta sauce keep on low heat. In another pan, use a little more oil and added the remaining diced veggies saute until tender. Add veggies to the simmering sauce (careful not to add excess oil from the veggies if any) and continue to simmer for another fifteen minutes or so, letting everybody to get to know each other in there. Add to pasta!
 
Now she also included a recipe for garlic bread and spicy croutons, but I had trouble finding a loaf of baker's bread that was vegan friendly late last night, so I will save that for another time, but trust me I am going to use it as it sounds so yummy!
 
She also recommened a salad:
 
Two mixed bags. One spring mix and a three mix of Romain lettuce leaves.
 
green olives, tom, carrot strips (the thin ones), croutons, sweet red, orange and yellow peppers, scallions, almond slivers, and if you really want to jazz it up grapes, apples, and cheese if you are on the vegetarian side of the fence (as she is!)
 
I did a salad the consisted of:
 
Organic baby spinach, orange pepper, scallions, carrots,  red onion, cherry tomatoes, and chopped almonds with Anne's Natural Green Goddess dressings!
 
 
 

the sauce brewing!




the salad!


the finished pasta!



they get married :)




 
 
 
This was an awesome meal and the husband, who is not a big marinara type pasta fan loved this so I hope you guys love it too! Here are some pics :)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment