Monday, May 16, 2011

What is your favorite cuisine?

Mine without a doubt is Mexican! I love it and could honestly eat it every single day. It also happens to be one of the easiest to whip up. So tonight on the menu is a little rendention of one of my favorites, a fajita quesadilla from a local Mexican restaurant! I followed the base of Whole Foods recipe for their tofu fajitas but tweaked it just a little and this was my creation

1 pound extra firm tofu (drained)
1 onion (I used vidalia)
1 pepper of choice (my were green)
cumin
chili powder
ground red pepper
cayenne
fajita seasoning (I happen to have this on hand, but it's not neccessary and it is really just garlic, salt, pepper, and onion so you could substitute accordingly)
salt
pepper
1 lime
tortillas of your choice (I used Tumaro's Garden Spinach and Vegetables)

toppings (all of which are optional)
shredded lettuce
diced tomatoes
vegetarian refried beans
guacamole
you could also use vegan sour cream or vegan cheese, although I have yet to try either one.

1. Dice the peppers, onions, and drained tofu. Layer them into a huge bowl and then squeeze one half of the lime juice over it. Now let me explain that in things like this I don't usually measure spices. I lightly coat the top of the dish with each spice. Then mix it up and coat once more (after mixing the first time, add the other squeezed lime juice). You can add and mix as much as you want to suit your tastes. Set the mixture aside.

2. While the mixture is marinating, heat a little oil in your skillet over medium heat. I like about ten minutes. Add mixture and caramelize the veggies and brown tofu about 15 minutes or so. Add to tortilla and fold in half. Put back in the pan and crisp a couple of minutes on both side. Enjoy!

My picture quality isn't the best, put you get the drift


A little afternote: This is only my second time exposed to tofu. I have to be honest, I am getting use to it. I would have rather used black beans, but I had already eaten bean chili earlier, and the better half likes the protien tofu provides. So if someone isn't open to the tofu, you can totally sub out for beans. Just season and cook the veggies the same and cook the beans acoording to directions and mix together afterwords. Now I gotta go, the season finale of Gossip Girl is on (don't judge).

No comments:

Post a Comment