Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Who loves to read?

I do!!!!!! Even if you don't, maybe you like food? Maybe you wanna get a little education in so when people ask you anything about the vegan lifestyle you won't look like a complete meathead (did I ever mention how witty I can be? ;) Ok well here are some educational reads, as well as some cookbooks I have been exposed to so far. I have made things from all of these cookbooks and really enjoyed them so check it. Feel free to add to the collection

Skinny Bitch-This is my current read. This is one I would probably not recommend for someone who is curious about becoming vegan/vegetarian. I really enjoy the book, but it is a bit harsh and the language is not the best, but of course I like that sort of thing. It has a lot of the same facts as some of the other educational reads, but in a more no nonsense/cut the shit kinda way. Tough love I would say. It breaks down the subjects pretty nicely and there is even a section on pooping!

http://www.skinnybitch.net/

The Kind Diet- I really liked this book. It is a combo educational/cookbook read by Alicia Silverstone (Clueless anyone? Awesome 90's Aerosmith videos?) I liked her tone throughout the whole book, it had some really solid facts, but she spoke to you in a gentle way. I liked her "green" take on things and her environmental stand on the lifestyle as well. Her passion on the subject shines through the pages. Some of the stuff in her cookbook looks awesome. There are some recipes however that looked like an ingredients list from another universe. Maybe there is a little better selection out there in 'ol sunny California, but here in the Ville, things aren't as accessible. Here is a link to her book and her website as well.

http://www.thekindlife.com/about

http://www.amazon.com/Kind-Diet-Simple-Feeling-Losing/dp/1605296449

The China Study-I will warn you this is not the most fun read ever and it is my favorite to read when I need to prepare myself for sleep. The facts and research that went into this book are uncomparable to any other I have found on the market today. This is based on years of research of the health benefits of a plant based lifestyle. I was amazed at the illnesses and disease that could be cured or reversed by living this way. So if you want something to base a good vegan arguement off of, check this one out. (The authors of this book recently made an appearance on the Dr. Oz show featuring a segment about the benefits of being vegan!)

http://www.thechinastudy.com/


The Happy Herbivore- This is the first cookbook I picked up when I started eating this way. The author usues ingredients that are easily found and methods that anyone could do. It also happens to be lowfat and the author answers questions you might have about the recipes on her facebook! She has a blog as well

http://happyherbivore.com/

Vegan with a Vegeance- The author of this cookbook has several cookbooks out, but this happens to be just one I have used. She so far is my favorite in the sweets department! I have loved everything I have made from her and trust me, there isn't much I love more than some awesome baked goods, so I am judgemental when it comes to that! Here is her website, the Post Punk Kitchen.

http://www.theppk.com/

La Dolce Vegan- I really just liked the author of this book! She has kind of the same no nonsense attitude and I appreciate that. I loved her peanut butter cookies and her beans and rice recipe! Here is her website with all of her other cookbooks and some fashion and beauty as well!

http://www.govegan.net/

Vegan on the cheap- Last but certainly not least, is this little gem! I honestly like this recipes the best out of any cookbook I used, and they just so happen to be affordable. This would be really great for a newcomer like myself or someone who maybe wanted to try a few dishes out. They give the average cost per serving and all the ingredients are pretty common! So no more bullshit "I can't afford to be vegan." Do me a favor and add up all the money you spend a month on eating out, fast food, and other groceries like meat and dairy, and then try this lifestyle for a month. Let me know which one wins as the cheapest! And trust me, leftovers are a plenty on this diet, just ask my co-workers (I bring my lunch everyday along with my snacks and I work in a restaurant. If I can do it, so can you)!

http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Cheap-Recipes-Simple-Strategies/dp/0470472243

2 comments:

  1. Hey lady. I think this blog is just great...definitely a fan. I have Skinny Bitch as well. I thought it was to the point, but a little harsh as well. It kinda discouraged me a little, but I definitely am going to give the "Vegan on the Cheap" a shot. I love to cook, and I try to stick to healthy recipes. Plus, I want to drop some major lbs for summer. I will let ya know what I think about the book for sure. I also am going to make the peanut butter and chocolate balls. I will keep ya posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Kort! The peanut butter chocolate balls are pretty awesome! I have tried the baked ziti and Cincinatti chili from Vegan on the Cheap and they were soooo good! Good luck lady!

    ReplyDelete