Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday Brunch-Chocolate Chip Blueberry Vegan Pancakes!

Happy Friday everyone! I hope everyone has a magical weekend! I've got a pretty good one lined up with a wedding tomorrow (with a very sweet bride whom took time out of her busy wedding week to offer me the vegetarian meal at her wedding!) and Primus on Sunday with the hubby! I really enjoy doing shows with just us, we seem to have the most fun! But today I'm going to share with you a little tradition I have started in this house, breakfast on Fridays! Now I normally do this for dinner and accompany the pancakes with a side like tofu scramble or oven roasted potatoes, but I have something else in the works for dinner tonight, so I decided to whip up these little treats with bluberries and chocolate chips (one of my all time favorite combos) just by themselves. I got this recipe from food.com and rumor has it, it's an 11 year old's recipe! Now this recipe has 121 reviews and almost a perfect 5 star rating. Trust me I was skeptical, but these things are seriously some of the best pancakes I have ever had! I believe the secret ingredient is the baking powder, it causes them to be soooooo fluffy and light. I really don't think you could mess these up! I added some blueberries and ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips (that happen to be vegan)! So here is my variation on the recipe and I will link you to the original one so you may change to your liking. Enjoy the holiday!


1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 tablespoon Organic Cane Sugar
2 tablespoons Baking Powder
2 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread melted
1 cup Silk Vanilla Soymilk

Add ins-
68 Ghiradelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
3/4 cup Blueberries

preheat skillet or griddle to medium high heat with a little nonstick cooking spray
mix all dry ingredients together. add in milk and melted butter. Scoop out some mixture (I learned to use 1/4 measuring cup to scoop  batter out to make evenly sized pancakes (thanks Happy Herbivore cookbook!) into the skillet. Sprinkle with a little blueberries and chocolate chips. When the pancake begins to bubble, flip of to the other side. Cook until brown (about one minute or so). Repeat until all batter is gone. Makes 6-7 pancakes.

I topped mine with Smart Balance Light spread with flax (also happens to be vegan and I get mine from Wal-Mart or Schnucks) and organic pure maple syrup! You can thank me later!





here is the original recipe and feel free to use whatever add in's that you would like..bananas, nuts, cinnamon, vanilla extract, etc. These are so fast and easy to make, you could make a double batch and freeze some to pop in the toaster at a later date!

http://www.food.com/recipe/5-minute-vegan-pancakes-132263

1 comment:

  1. I had to book it to catch my connecting flight without grabbing food. I want a pancake! Looks delish

    ReplyDelete