Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Peanut Butter and Chocolate never get old

So I love sweets! A life without sweets wouldn't be worth living. I try to eat pretty healthy most of the time, but you gotta indulge every once and a while. I do make treats often, but usually end up giving them away to friends and co-workers. I try not to give into many, but you atleast gotta have one out of the oven, and one the next day to make sure they set nicely :) I also feel like cookies, muffins, and cakes are a common ground for vegs and non-vegs alike. You entice people into the world of vegan with delicious morsels and say "Hey by the way, that nice little nugget you fell in love with just so happens to be vegan." And they're all like "No way." Then I lure them into trying the more complex stuff. *insert evil laugh here* So here is the recipe from my favorite vegan sweets lady Isa Chandra Mokowitz and her Vegan Cookies cookbook.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows:

Chocolate Dough:
1/2 cup canola oil (I used melted Earth Balance Butter)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 tablesppons nondairy milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose (I don't use anything but whole wheat flour now, so when baking I use whole wheat pastry flour. It is a little lighter and less dense then regular whole wheat flour)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons black unsweetened cocoa powder or more regular unsweetened cocoa powder (that's what I used)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Peanut Butter filling:
3/4 cup natural peanut butter
2/3 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons nondairy milk
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Steps:

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar, syrup, milk, .and vanilla and mix until smooth. Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix to form a moist dough

2. In another bowl, make filling by using hand mixer to beat all filling ingredients together. Dough should but moist but firm. (If too wet add a little more powder sugar until dough is right consistency, if too dry add more milk)

3. Preheat oven to 350 and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray or line with alluminum foil

4. Roll the peanut butter filling into 24 balls. ( I guestimated the size, but if I had to say a little bigger than a teaspoon size. I included a pic of what my balls looked like below. Come to find out later, I used a little less p.b. than the recipe called for. I used 2/3 cups instead of 3/4 cup so your balls might be a little bigger (that's what she said!)

4. Put down some wax paper and scoop out a generous tablespoon of the chocolate dough mixture. Flatten out and place a p.b. ball in the middle. Fold the chocolate dough over the p.b ball and roll in the palm of your hand to form a bigger ball. Repeat for all 24 balls.

5. Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart (it will probably only fit a dozen at a time, I baked mine in 2 batches.) Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool five minutes before removing from pan and let cool longer on plate or wire rack. Store in an airtight container.



my peanut butter balls



finished product (I apologize for the glare)



inside the nuggets. the cookbook showed more p.b. in the pic, but the lack of it in mine is probably due to my miscalculations


And for shits and giggles, my husband wanted me to include a pic of his cheeseless pizza although about zero prep went into it.The crust and the sauce were premade. We don't do it often, but you gotta have it easy sometimes





No comments:

Post a Comment